What does that mean, exactly? First off, yes: there really is an award. And yes, the rumors are true: it is a bona fide professional wrestling championship belt. We had that puppy custom made by a company that only makes championship belts for boxing, MMA, and wrestling. Yes, there is a name plate on the side engraved with each winner’s name and the year of their reign. Our logo is also engraved on other plates around the belt.
Author Matt Betts was crowned our inaugural Reader’s Choice Champion at last year’s DogCon event for his novel Odd Men Out. We love all of the books we publish, but Matt’s efforts went above and beyond the call of duty as a debut author, winning over the hearts of readers and reviewers everywhere. Not only did Matt take his well-deserved win gracefully, but he has done an admirable job of representing RDSP at events throughout the year by taking his championship belt on the road when he does publicity.
I would be remiss if I were to permit you to think we only administer this belt which has to be returned after a year. In fact the authors also receive a separate engraved trophy to keep permanently. Perhaps sweetest of all, though, is knowing that after a two-step voting process the winner gets bragging rights over our other authors…I mean, they get the satisfaction of knowing readers appreciate them.
Eligible books this year are listed below:
- The Biographizer Trilogy (Hitler, Freud, Douglass) by D.Harlan Wilson
- Corpus Chrome, Inc. by S. Craig Zahler
- Embrace the Hideous Immaculate by Chad Hensley
- Grave Markings by Michael Arnzen
- Greenshift by Heidi Ruby Miller
- How to Read by Eckhard Gerdes
- The Man Who Loved Alien Landscapes by Albert Wendland
- Mr. Wicker by Maria Alexander
- Mourning Jewelry by Stephanie Wytovich
- Soft Apocalypses by Lucy Snyder
- Wasteland Blues by Scott Christian Carr & Andrew Conry-Murray
Please vote for your favorite, for your friend, for spite or for indifference, for everlasting glory…by visiting http://rawdogscreaming.com/readers-choice-poll-published-in-2014/ and selecting the title that seems best to you. Or, by picking the author whose style would be best augmented by a pro wrestling championship belt.
Above all: thank you for participating!