We welcome submissions from writers of all genres, backgrounds, and experiences in the following genres: fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.
Emerging Writer Fellows will be featured at The Writer’s Center as part of a special celebration and reading. Fellows living within a 250-mile radius of the center will receive a $250 honorarium, and all others will receive $500.
Emerging Writer Fellows will:
- have 1 or 2 full-length single-author books published in a single genre, and no more than 3 books published to their credit (including as editors of anthologies) in any genre. Chapbooks and pamphlets will not be calculated into an author’s total publication record and cannot be substituted for a full-length single-author book. Self-published titles or vanity press titles are not admissible and will not be considered.
- be judged in the category in which their submitted creative selection falls. In cases of cross-genre work or multiple-genre work, our staff will determine the genre of consideration.
- have published books “in hand” or be in the uncorrected proof stage of publication at the time of their submission.
To be considered, please send:
- a one-page letter of interest that includes the name of your creative selection and a short bio
- a resume or CV that details publication history and familiarity facilitating group discussions or workshops
- a creative selection from your most recent published book:
- Poetry: up to 10 pages of poems (1 poem per page).
- Fiction & Nonfiction: up to 16 pages of text double-spaced with 1-inch margins.
- Your creative selection does not need to be one excerpt, but can be comprised of multiple sections or excerpts up to but not exceeding the total page limit.
- A committee comprised of The Writer’s Center board members, workshop leaders, and members will evaluate submissions on behalf of our community of writers.
All submissions must be postmarked by June 20, 2015.
Please send your submission materials to:
The Writer’s Center
Attn: Judson Battaglia
Re: Emerging Writer Fellowship
4508 Walsh Street
Bethesda, MD 20815
Current Emerging Writer Fellows
To read more about them click here
Past Emerging Writer Fellows
To read more about them click here.