2015 & 2016 SELF DIRECTED RESIDENCIES for Artists, writers, curators, cultural researchers, musicians and performers.
The Caetani Cultural Centre offers artists and writers creative living and working spaces in an independent community atmosphere for self-directed residencies, providing time, support and room for creativity, at affordable rates.
Open to emerging and established visual artists in any medium. Writers, musicians, curators, cultural researchers, musicians and performing artists are also welcome and encouraged to apply.
Self-directed residencies are of varying lengths of time, from 2 weeks to 6 months, to suit the individual needs of the applicant. Please specify the preferred time period for the residency and length of stay for project in your application form. The Self-Directed Residencies are not sponsored or themed.
Unless otherwise indicated, applicants are suggested to apply at least 3 months prior to the required time period. All applications are adjudicated by a professional adjudication panel.
The Self-Directed Residencies are not sponsored or themed, and fees are based and pro-rated on length of stay. Artists are expected to provide their own food, materials and transportation.
Please note: There is limited access to equipment. If you have special equipment needs you should contact the Centre to ensure that this program is suitable for your expectations.
All fees are in Canadian funds, and pro-rated on the length of stay.
AIR Program fees include private studio space and private bedroom, with shared common areas: kitchen, bath and common areas).
- 3 Private bedrooms are available (each with queen-sized bed, dresser and desk with chair).
- Double occupancy can be considered
- Additional nights/weeks are pro-rated @ the nightly rate.
- The fee does not include travel expenses, food, health insurance, art materials, shipping, exhibition costs, or other personal expenses.
- Most participants apply for grants to institutions, foundations, universities, government agencies, etc. in their country/province of origin to assist with funding.
- Pricing is tiered based on the length of the residency and the specific needs of the proposed project.
- The Caetani Centre does not provide daily cleaning of the studios or rooms, or daily meals. Residents are expected to maintain their studio spaces and rooms, shared common areas of the kitchen, bathroom and other common areas in a clean, tidy and orderly manner, with respect for the other residents using the space.
Shared Residential Accommodation:
1. Caetani Suite – 19’ x 14’-2”, (5.8 m x 4.3 m)
(Writer’s Live/Work space, or Visual Artist paired with Ninfa Studio)
Includes writer’s/researchers workspace within the large room. For visual artists, on-site studio space may be available in the Port studio. Off-site studio spaces may be available for ceramic artists through the Vernon Community Arts Centre, or other visual artists through the Fresh! AiR program at the Allan Brooks Nature Centre, the Science Centre, or other community organizations. Please contact the Caetani Centre if you require special facilities or are interested in partnering with a local organization.
- Sermoneta Room – (currently paired with Ninfa Studio) – 12’-4” x 9’ (3.75 m x 2.75 m)
- Fogliano Room – (currently writer’s/researchers space only) – 9’-9” x 9”-8” (2.97m x 2.97m)
- Shared 4 piece full bathroom
- Shared kitchen/eating area.
- Shared communal gathering space in the Library
- One parking space onsite
- Bed linens, towels, and cleaning supplies are provided by the Centre.
- Coin operated laundry onsite
- Access to Internet, and Library
- Artists are responsible for their own travel, health insurance, food requirements, materials, equipment, and should have their own transportation.
Studio Space: Modest studio workspaces located on the Centre grounds are included in the overall fees.
Approximate Studio Measurements:
- Ninfa Studio: Footprint: approximately 12’ x 14’ (3.7 m x 4.3 m)
- Ceiling Height: approximately 8’ (2.44 m)
- Coming in 2016 – Port Studio: Footprint: approximately 12.5’ x 17’ (3.8 m x 5 m)
- Ceiling Height: approximately 9’ (2.7 m)
- Access to Internet
- Tub sink, access to water and washrooms.
Please note: There is limited access to equipment. If you have special equipment needs you should contact the Centre to ensure that this program is suitable for your expectations prior to making application.
The Caetani Cultural Centre will assist in facilitating workshops, receptions, and public programming based around the participating artist’s work.
Artists-in-Residence are requested to leave a piece of art in the community, if possible.
Deposit and Cancellation Policy
Upon acceptance into the program, the successful applicant will be asked to submit a deposit of 50% of the total cost of their residency in order to secure their place in the program. This will be billed through secure Paypal and payable in Canadian Funds. Please contact the Centre to make alternate arrangements, if required.
The remaining fee is payable one month prior to the scheduled residency start date.
In the event of cancellation after committing to the accepted program, the Caetani Cultural Centre reserves the right to retain up to and including the full 50% amount on deposit. The Centre will make every effort to find a substitute artist to take the place of the accepted artist in the event of cancellation. A minimum $50 processing fee will be retained if another artist agrees to take your place.
Open to all emerging and established artists in any medium, writers, cultural researchers, musicians, performers, and other creative individuals.
Unless otherwise indicated, the Self-Directed Residency applications are ongoing.
It is recommended that you make your application at least 3 months prior to the date that you wish to attend.
Selection of Applicants
A selection committee composed of arts professionals will review and select candidates for the program.
Please contact the Caetani Cultural Centre if you experience any difficulty.